Tuesday, February 5, 2013

What's In My Bag: Basketball!!!

As a photographer I take every opportunity to shoot to hone my skills.  Tonight I have such an opportunity, my niece has a basketball game.  So what parameters to we have here, sports in a Jr. High gymnasium.  Although I could get closer than a professional sports event, I am probably still going to be at a distance and the lighting will be dim.  So I will pass up my 18-55mm because I won't need anything as short as 18mm and  55mm might even be a little short.  I have a 300mm Ai-S that I have shot the Phoenix Suns with and it worked very well, but I was at quite a distance for that and would rather not shoot at that distance today.  So I am going to bring my 70-210mm f/4-5.6 AF-n and nothing else lens wise.  Lastly, since the lighting is going to stink, I will add my SB-600.  I have mostly shot outdoor sports, so shooting this game will be a little different.  I usually don't use a flash outdoors but definitely want to give it a go here.

  • Camera: Nikon D80
  • Lens: 70-210mm f/4-5.6 AF-n
  • Flash: SB-600
RESULTS:  Well, like I said, this is not my forte and I didn't do as well as I would have liked.  Probably the biggest issue was that I should have had the flash in rear curtain mode so that the exposure would stay the same as for non-flash, and I would just get a little fill from the flash.  

No comments:

Post a Comment